❤ 1/2 cup butter
❤ 1 cup sugar
❤ 3 eggs
❤ 2 tsp vanilla extract
❤ 2 cups flour
❤ 1/2 tsp salt
❤ 2 tsp baking powder
❤ 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then grease and flour cake pan. If you’re not sure how to do that, this video from Mahalo is how I taught myself.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat softened butter until smooth, then add sugar and blend until combined.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing in between. Add vanilla and beat.
4. In a smaller bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder with a fork. Alternate adding this dry mixture to your batter with the cup of milk.
Tip: mix manually with the beater before turning it on to avoid milk splashing or flour flying everywhere.
5. Add any food colouring or sprinkles you choose (optional).
6. Pour half of batter using a large ladle or spoon into cake pan, tapping and shaking until it takes the heart shaped form and is distributed evenly.
7. Put pan on middle rack of oven and set timer for 20 minutes.
8. Cover bowl of remaining batter with Saran Wrap until your first cake is done. If you have two pans, you can cook them simultaneously. If not, you must wait.
9. Check periodically after the initial 20 minutes with a toothpick in the center of the cake. When the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done!
10. Let cake sit in pan for five minutes, then transfer to wire rack carefully by flipping upside down, the patting it gently with an oven mitt. The pan will still be hot!
11. Leave cake to cool and clean out pan. If batter has congealed or thickened, use spoon to push it into the shape of the pan, tapping and shaking as before. Repeat cooking process.
12. Wrap first cake in tin foil and freeze. Transfer and cool second cake, then do the same. When it comes time to frost them, remove from freezer and place one on top of the other!